Monday, January 22, 2007

Profile and Evaluation of blackfeminism.org

Profile:

Name and subject: blackfeminism.org; one woman's opinion on race, gender, and politics.
Author, relation to and location in field: Tiffany B. Brown, who is a web developer and designer living in Atlanta. Evidently, she is not directly connected to the field of gender studies, but she is an expert on the Internet, which has a huge influence on the formation of gender roles and social expectations of gender (thanks to its power to spread images instantaneously).
Frequency of posts: Tiffany was posting about every three days for a while, but she published a blog at the end of December that said that she has to discontinue blogging until January.
Blog popularity: Technorati ranks it 28,629 because it has 318 links from 113 blogs

Evaluation:
1. I think this blog relates to my field of interest because Tiffany discusses gender issues such as marriage, and she mentions both gender and race quite frequently. I think racial and cultural differences in gender are fascinating, and I would love to learn more about them.
2. Many of Tiffany's blogs revolve around published information, such as news articles, but for the most part, it is not a professional or academic blogs. It is simply a collection of thoughts from an average American woman.
3. The posts do not tend to be extremely detailed. They are concise and discuss a single issue at a time.
4. I believe the audience is women, especially black women. They are relevant because their comments may help to understand the issues in the blog more thoroughly.
5. This blog may feed my work because it will give me insight on intertwining racial and gender issues. Because I am white, this blogger will be able to provide me with experiences and information that I may have otherwise overlooked or misunderstood. I want to look at and discuss as many diverse sides of issues pertaining to gender as I can in my blog.
6. Again, my blog will differ because I will also discuss intertwined racial and gender issues in it.